Monday, September 15, 2008

Minitek (9/13/08)





New York party people had been anxiously awaiting Minitek, New York's first electronic music and innovation festival, since promoter Jenny Tan made a dramatic announcement at one of her underground loft parties earlier in the summer. By all accounts the festival organizers were ill-equipped for the event which led to a lot of outspoken complaints and extremely mixed reviews. If you're interested in the minutia, I'll let you read the links below and decide for yourself. In my opinion, the Minitek peeps screwed up almost everything they possibly could but I still had a blast at the day sessions in Coney Island. All told I heard Insideout, Camea, Afternoon Coffee Boys, Exercise One, Jeremy P. Caulfield, Steven LeTigre, Heidi, Audiofly, Tiefschwarz vs. M.A.N.D.Y., Bill Patrick, Butane, Fase Music Sender, Konrad Black, Guide Schneider, David Squillace, Guy Gerber, Richie Hawtin and Francois K. Pretty damn incredible for $40 (I got in on the EARLY pre-sales). Musical highlights were definitely Audiofly, Tiefschwarz vs. M.A.N.D.Y., Bill Patrick, Guy Gerber and Francois K.

The Book of Bad Ideas was out in full force on Saturday and has since gone global with it's own Group on Facebook. The typical shenanigans were abound during the day but it was the D-train ride home that night that was most entertaining as we had an entire subway car full of locos. We read aloud from The Book, did the Macarena, put the rainbow umbrella hat on a random, old Chinese man, gave out lap dances, doused people with a squirt gun and then later solicited bad ideas from a bunch of innocent bystanders on another train. Only ONE person actually offered up an idea and it just so happened to be Ronnie from Bravo's "Make Me a Super Model". No, I'm not kidding. Zollie still owes me her pictures otherwise I'd have one of me and Ronnie posted here.

Sunday was even more eventful as I busted out the full Proptainer and set up camp as soon as I arrived. Bill Patrick of Robots fame was getting the day off to a great start musically with some awesome tech-house. I did a full booth re-design with a blow up doll, marionette, chicken head and chalk scribbles among other things. I'm to DJ booths what Xzibit is to shitty cars. Next up on MTV: "Prop my Booth"! After the early after hours sets, the crew stole a couch and decided to officially set up our own Prop HQ. Our cool factor hit a new level when a VIP section was actually created around us... yup, the ropes went up around us and we took over from there! The rest of the night was filled with wicked tunes and coochie dusting - what more can a girl ask for?! On a sad note, I do need to have a moment of silence for my fallen blow-up doll, Peter North, who apparently met his demise while crowd surfing during Audion's set Sunday evening (see picture above).

(-) Minitek Review for PESSIMISTS


(+) Minitek Review for OPTIMISTS

Special shout-out to Jeff and Wes from Chicago!


Photo Credits: RA, Anis, PJay, Obscene NYC and others!

SIS - Nesrib dropped by Phillip of M.A.N.D.Y.


Francois K Closing Out the Festival


No comments: