Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Grad Week 2007 - Part I - North Beach Club & Cubs Game

Monday ::: Day one of grad week started off as a continuation from the night before (Richie Hawtin at Smartbar) then I snagged 2.5 hours of sleep before heading back to the beach to meet up for a reunion with everyone from my trip to Machu Picchu, Peru in September of 2005. We actually all went *day camping* together in Wisconsin last year where Sanem and Ryan introduced us to an incredibly fun lawn game called Kubb. We decided the last reunion would have to be a match to the death! Kubb (pronounced koob) is a popular Swedish, viking game that can be played on any surface. The basic premise is to tip all of the other teams Kubbs by tossing wooden batons across the playing field. I'd imagine the game is normally quite civilized; however as with most things, I like to add my own unique flare to the game - shaking my money maker, yelling "suck it" or any number of other distracting tactics. My team scored an early victory but then threw a record number of out of bounds in the championship match, setting us up for some dramatic behind-the-king throws, but sealing our (loser) fate.

Later that afternoon, a big chunk of the graduating class went downtown to North Beach Club which to everyone's surprise was nowhere near the beach. In fact, it didn't have an outdoor space or even a window. It was like a giant, lame adult wonderland. The biggest excitement was that it is attached to Hogs'n Honey's, the scene of the bachelorette party crimes a few weeks ago. I spent three hours watching drunk people ride the mechanical bull. Thrilling. After getting a beer spilled down my back, I decided to call it a night and head home despite chants for "The Keg" on the school bus ride back to Evanston.


Tuesday ::: Day two was another tough day spent running errands, sun bathing and preparing for a night out at Wrigley. The 28-35 Cubs took on the 35-26 Mariners in a fairly entertaining battle of mediocrity. Derrek Lee went 2-for-4 with an RBI and scored the game-tying run in the eighth, an inning in which the Cubs loaded the bases with no outs and were unable to take the lead. In fact, none of the three outs even made it past the pitcher. The Mariners wound up winning in the 13th although we left at the end of the 9th in order to rendezvous with Zeb and Eric in Boystown.

"Take me out to the ballgame!" @ Wrigley Field


I decided not to drink at the game, but that decision was quickly nullified when we got to Roscoe's and the pitchers of cosmopolitans started flowing. The bartender admitted they were crack-like, but kept refilling them and watching us slide downhill in a hurry. In the meantime, we watched drag queen, Frida Lay, host a fairly talentless group of contestants on "Wheel of American Idols." Zeb ordered graduation shots, Frida-Lay congratulated us and the night started to get a little fuzzy. I did however, find my brother from another mother (who was wearing a zebra shirt!!) After a few hours, we made the inevitable move to Hydrate for 80s night and on the way over I started climbing the famous street signs on North Halsted. We danced long and hard, the boys' shirts came flyin off and the stage got werked! At some unknown time, I decided enough was enough and managed to convince the party train to head home. Zeb provided entertainment to the very end, yelling "boo-kaaaaay" the entire ride home and throughout our fine meal at Burger King. Some random sleeping dude also got a flash of my butt, which I'm sure was the highlight of his life. And, before we left BK, we realized that Zeb was not wearing the shirt he wore out that night. Ha! Two grad week nights down, two to go!

"I Love Rock'n Roll" @ Hydrate





No comments: