Friday, November 09, 2007

Fuerzabruta (10/7/07)



Diqui James, one of the creators of "De La Guarda," is back in Union Square with a new show called "Fuerzabruta" (brute force). When I saw De La Guarda way-back-when, it really blew me away because it was fresh, new and truly interactive. The follow-up is definitely a fun, entertaining experience but lacks a little bit of it's predecessor's buzz worthiness. I'm not sure if that's because of the content, the fact that's its the second of it's kind, it's lacking an overall story or something else. I had to laugh at the NY Times review:

"For true enjoyment, a powerful affection for thumping techno music would probably help. So would a delight in being befogged by acrid smoke, blasted by bright lights and shuttled around in packs like cattle. Also getting wet in public. The key demographic for “Fuerzabruta” is probably clubgoing, overstimulated college kids not worried about soiling their togs from H&M. Not to mention all those on the dark side of 30 who wish they were still clubgoing, overstimulated college kids."

I'm 30 and still going to clubs so I'm not sure where that leaves me! In any case, it's definitely something fun and original - certain moments were definitely very memorable - so if you have some time check it out...just don't expect anything life changing (-;

Trailer:


Pictures c/o NY Times.

No comments: