Sunday, December 02, 2007

John Tejada @ Sullivan Room & The New Museum Opening (12/1/07)

I've been laying relatively low lately, but somehow Nora managed to get me out of the house for a bit on Saturday night. We hit up Sullivan Room which had a nice vibe going on the early side for the Samsara boys. Unfortunately when headliner, John Tejada, came on with his live PA the sound and the vibe took a turn downward. Maybe it was just me or maybe it wasn't, but I thought his first hour was pretty boring. Oh and I never thought I'd see the day when there would be a break dancing circle at a live minimal show... what?!!? The good news is we had other plans at 3am...





Earlier in the night a good buddy of ours mentioned she had extra tickets to the the New Museum, which was having it's 30-hour (all night) opening at its new location on the Bowery. Our tickets were for 3am entrance... only in NYC!

I'm not going to lie, I think a lot of contemporary art is bullshit. And I admit that may very well be because I have a simple mind and/or unsophisticated taste in art. Unfortunately the exhibits in the opening were right in my sour spot - I'm sorry, but a bunch of junk thrown in a heap just doesn't do it for me. The lead exhibit, "'Unmonumental', is an exhibition about fragmented forms, torn pictures and clashing sounds. Investigating the nature of collage in contemporary art practices, 'Unmonumental' also describes the present as an age of crumbling symbols and broken icons. Inspired by the art it presents, 'Unmonumental' grows over time like an assemblage."

Cough*bullshit*cough*cough*

The good news however is that no matter where Nora and I go we somehow entertain ourselves. It all started on the top floor where there was an indoor/outdoor dance party. We made friends with a girl who had been at a bar mitzvah all day and stuffed our faces with candy. Then we made our way to the exhibits taking pictures on the first floor before realizing photos weren't allowed. Not to be denied, we just started messing around with security and before he knew what hit him, he had on the supersonic glasses and was posing for pics! As we were making our way to the second room, people kept asking us where we got our sunglasses. I told them "the 9th floor" to which they responded, "there is no 9th floor." I promptly replied, "you have to take the Hogwarts Express." Nora and I were doubled over in laughter. Maybe you had to be there. In any case, we ran around and caused trouble on all floors...laughing at the art the entire way.

Now that was an *interesting* night!






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i like ur shirt...:P