Sunday, January 20, 2008

Body & Soul (1/20/08)


Just when I was starting to lose some interest in the electronic music scene... along comes Body & Soul to restore my faith! Wow, wow and more wow. I haven't been in NYC for the last few years so I think I forgot just how incredible the Body & Soul vibe could be. Young, old, gay, straight, black, white, brown and everything in between - everyone there for one love. Say what you will about dark and dirty tech-house and mental afterhours madness, but there is nothing quite like a thousand people all singing a soulful song from the heart in unison.

I got to Webster Hall alone at 7pm and went straight to the dance floor to warm up from the 20° weather outside. It didn't take long as the Body & Soul triumvirate - Danny Krivit, Francois K and Joe Claussell - were already tag-teaming. Danny and Francois played well, but for me Joe Claussell absolutely stole the show. If FK is the geeky, mad scientist behind the decks than Joe is the DJ version of James Brown. I don't know that I've ever seen another DJ with as much rhythm and flare - it's like the music is flowing directly from his body. I'd go as far as to say that Joe is in my top 10 - he's *that* good.

After a few hours I was joined by my dear friend, Susan, who I haven't shared a dance floor with in a long time (love you, Shabby!). Over the course of the night I ran into 5-6 other friends but for the most part it was just me, Susan and the music. It was a perfect night - 6.5 hours of non-stop smiling and dancing. I highly recommend you NYC heads get out for the next one! A couple trainspotted highlights: Mary J. Blige "Just Fine", Rolling Stones "Miss You", Dan Hartman "Relight My Fire", Aretha Franklin "Deeper Love".

Joe Claussell Playing Dan Hartman's 70s Disco Classic "Relight My Fire"


Danny Krivit Playing "Deeper Love"


More Joe Claussell





Full album:
2008_01_20 (Body & Soul @ Webster Hall)

No comments: